Water bladders make everything easier, right? You do not need to struggle with water bottles especially when you are on a hiking or bicycling adventure. All you need do is grab the bite valve, and drink your water.
Similar to many outdoor gears, you need to keep your water bladder clean. It is important to clean your water bladder to protect your gut from germs and bacteria. It also keeps your water clean and fresh. Here’s how to clean your water bladder via these DIY steps.
Tools for cleaning
- A brush or pipe cleaner for the reservoir hose
- Household dish brush
- Dish soap
- A pipe cleaner/brush specifically for the reservoir hose (optional)
- Lemon juice and water
- Baking soda and water
Steps for Cleaning
- Fill the bladder with warm water and home solution (lemon or bleach)
- Pinch the valve of the bladder open until water runs out. This is to ensure that the solution flows everywhere
- Wait for 30 minutes before you drain the solution from the water bladder
- Scrub the insides with a brush and rinse thoroughly
Here’s how to clean your water bladder when you are on the trail
- Add warm water into your bladder
- Use 2-4 drops of biodegradable soap and scrub the insides with a scrubber pad
- Rinse the interior thoroughly
- Dig a 6 inches deep cathole and pour the soap water there
- Raise the bladder up with a y-shaped stick to help dry quickly
Whether you are at home or while you’re camping, cleaning your water bladder is essential.